With the exception of the independent Elisabeth-Sophien-Kooges and including the Hallig Nordstrandischmoor, Nordstrand forms the municipality of the same name.
As one of the remnants of the island of Strand, which partially disappeared in the 17th century and whose western part is today's Pellworm, Nordstrand was originally an island. In 1906/07, Nordstrand was connected to the mainland for the first time by a low dam about 2.6 kilometers long. This dam was used exclusively for coastal protection and was not navigable. However, pedestrians could cross it at low tide. In 1933/35, the Nordstrander Dam was expanded to avoid flooding: since then, a 4.3-kilometer-long road (including the access ramps) has connected Nordstrand to the mainland. The car-friendly expansion of the dam fulfilled a long-cherished wish of Nordstrand. From then on, he made the islanders independent of tide- and weather-dependent ship connections to the mainland and since then has made a lasting contribution to the economic development of the landlocked island.
Since the completion of the Beltringharder Kooges in 1987, Nordstrand has had a much larger mainland connection and is therefore a peninsula surrounded by the sea on three sides. The area of the former island was 48.6 km² (including the municipality of Elisabeth-Sophien-Koog, but excluding Hallig Nordstrandischmoor, which belongs to the municipality of Nordstrand). Of the Beltringharder Koog with a total area of 35.41 km², 12.17 km² were added to the municipality of Nordstrand.